Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Word of the Day: Ephemeral

The word of the day for today is "ephemeral."

I learned it my first year in college in an "Intro to Theater" class taught by a wonderful teacher named Nancy Wheeler. I honestly don't remember much else about the class (although I think it was held in the basement of the South Dakota Art Museum, but I'm not sure). I know that we learned a bunch of other things, too, but the primary thing I still remember is that word.

I also remember that Nancy had this way of looking at you as if: a) you really already ought to know the answer to the question you just asked; and, that b) she had complete faith that you'd figure it out if she gave you enough time.

But... "Ephemeral," and the "ephemerality of theater" were things we talked about in class that have stuck with me all these years. You see, one of the things that makes theater a completely unique artistic entity unto itself is the fact that each performance is gone as soon as the curtain closes -- it's ephemeral. No matter how much it has touched the audience, it won't ever be the same again.

Yet, just like that long-gone class back in the mid-1980s, that word has stuck with me all these years. Sure. The class was ephemeral, but the memories (and many of the friendships) have remained for all this time.

Today, however, I found out through some college friends that Nancy Wheeler passed away last night. She'd been ill off and on for a while, and was just moved into hospice earlier this week. The news has sent ripples through the online community of my friends and acquaintances. And, although I hadn't seen Nancy in years, knowing that she's gone has left a tangible hole in my psyche.


Theater. Life. Ephemeral.

Thanks, Nancy.

2 comments:

irishred said...

I love you Robert and miss you and our whole funny little family of nerds and outcasts and afflicted psyches.

I'm going to make sure that everyone knows how much I miss them, respect them and care for them from this point forward.

Nancy taught me that.

smurray said...

What a nice memorial and remembrance. It's always profound to hear about the loss of someone who touched our lives in a significant way.