Saturday, January 2, 2010

Wow. That's Chilly.

I hadn't intended to write about the weather, today.

I was going to talk about New Year's Eve and the fact that Christopher and I didn't get home until about a quarter-to-three in the morning of the 1st. In that posting, I was going to mention that we had a great time with old and new friends in the "evening." Then I was going to tell you about the brunch we had with a couple of people over to celebrate the New Year with Kir Royale and pancakes.

I was definitely going to mention that I watched the Rose Parade (or at least most of it, until our guests came over) so that I could see the Boy Scouts of America float which one of my sisters and brothers-in-law spent eight hours using tweezers to put split peas on. And I thought I might mention how glorious the sun was this morning when I woke up.

Then, as I was watching TV this morning, Christopher made a kind of "wow" sound while looking at his computer. When I walked into the office, he was looking at the Weather Channel's homepage. He said he had seen a bunch of people commenting online about how cold it was, and so he pulled up the site. The current temp (at about 9am) was listed as negative 19 degrees Fahrenheit.

I went online and started poking around and found that -19 was actually in the middle of most of the reports. Friends were excited about cars that started at -25. Friends were talking about going out for the day at -24. Friends were commenting on the chill in the air as far east as New York City (where, comparatively, it was balmy at 28 degrees ABOVE zero).

The high today got to 1 above, according to the TV weather.

Now, yes, I know that this part of the world is famous for it's cold winters. But the really cold stuff usually comes later in January. This cold snap was kind of unexpected in its early appearance -- and it's sudden severity. I promise to not complain about the weather every day until spring.

Well. At least not here.

No comments: