Monday, April 26, 2010

Catch It Before It's Gone

I fully realize that my taste in TV shows can sometimes be a bit suspect. I probably enjoy Phineas & Ferb more than I ought to. I obsess a bit over The Amazing Race. And there are shows I watch just because there's nothing else on - but don't we all?

Last week, however, Christopher and I tried a new show which is in direct competition with one of our other favorites The Big Bang Theory. Big Bang Theory was showing a repeat, and the new show is a comedy starring Alyssa Milano, whom I've always enjoyed watching.

So, with CBS out of the running, we switched to ABC and tried Romantically Challenged last week. The cast is decent. The show had its moments, but it was doing that "new show" thing and trying WAY too hard to be funny. And, yet, at the end of the episode, we kind of looked at each other and agreed that, if it made it to a second week, we'd try it again.


I just finished watching the second episode a couple of minutes ago, and I'm glad I did. This time around the show was a little more relaxed. The comedy wasn't as forced. The laughtrack wasn't as invasive. I laughed out loud a couple of times. It's definitely on the right track, but I'm still afraid it will be gone in a week.

I hope it sticks around, though, even if it is opposite Big Bang Theory.

And thank God that I can record at least one of them, because it's going to be a difficult decision in weeks to come.

No comments: