Saturday, April 24, 2010

They Double Down Dared Me

I admit it. The advertising got to me. Or, rather, the anti-advertising got to me. All those people saying that it was the first sign of the Apocalypse.

Honestly, I was perfectly fine with ignoring it, but then everyone was talking about it. Even the folks at the "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" blog talked about it. So you know I had no choice but to do it.

Even so, I did it surreptitiously, with no one around. I stayed in my car so no one would see me. And when I got home, I didn't even bring it into the house, but stayed outside until I could destroy the evidence.

The truth? It wasn't as bad as I expected. I didn't even feel that dirty afterward. Unfortunately, as with many clandestine things, it also wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
Maybe it was simply the thrill of doing something so wrong that got me going. Or maybe it was knowing that I would probably end up hating myself in the morning that made me wonder if it was worth it. No matter what, it had to be done. I couldn't just live through hearing about it from other people about it any more.

Yes. That's right. Today, after running a bunch of errands, I went to KFC and ordered a "Double Down Combo Meal."

I'm sure you've seen the stories, or the ads, or the "anti-ads," about the new "sandwich" from KFC. It consists of two slices of bacon and two pieces of Monterey Jack cheese slathered in "the Colonel's Sauce" and squashed between two Original Recipe Fried Chicken Breasts. That's right - there's no bun. Instead, it comes wrapped in this little envelope of paper which I guess you're supposed to use to protect your hands as you pick up the chicken to bite into it.

I couldn't get that paper wrapper to work, though (it kept sticking to the cheese and I came dangerously close to eating some of it), so I took that off and just held the two chicken breasts with the oozy goodness in my hands. And it was oozy. And it was good.


The chicken was chickeny. The cheese was cheesey. The "Colonel's Sauce" (although it sounds kind of R-rated), was appropriately spicy. The bacon was... well... it was there (probably the main weak spot in the meal - bland bacon).

I know (because I looked here before getting one) that the thing has more than 1/4 of my recommended daily calories. I know that it's got something like 32 grams of fat. (Which is why I opted for the cole slaw instead of the fries. Although, c'mon, who am I kidding if I pretend that the slaw is good for me?) People are right to point out those things. But, oddly enough, although I tend to have a squeamish stomach for many things high fat, this hasn't made me sick. (Not sure what that means, really.)

One thing I am surprised by, however, is that no one is really complaining about the sodium in the Double Down (it is listed on the website, though). It was almost inedibly salty. It was so danged salty that I've been drinking water at every chance for the past 2 hours, just to avoid a "dehydration hangover."

Would I order it again? Probably not (but, then, this was my first trip to KFC in about 8 months).

Am I glad I tried it? Heck, yeah. If nothing else, it was a whole lot more fulfilling than "Avatar" - and it cost me a lot less.

No comments: