Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sometimes, Not Working Works

My goal this weekend was to make a whole lot of headway on an editing assignment. And while I did make a small amount of headway, I also made a decision today that put me further ahead than the editing would have.

You see, it's been a gorgeous weekend. Sunny and warm. I wandered around the yard probably more than I should have. Tonight I'm watching Amazing Race. And this afternoon I made one of my best decisions in quite a while when I decided at the last minute to put off my work. What did I put it off to do? To go to "The Dining Room."

No. I didn't go sit at the table and eat. I went to see the play by that name (written by A. R. Gurney), which was being directed by a friend of mine from college (who, as usual, will remain nameless because I didn't ask her if I could put her name in here).

Here's the thing - I haven't seen her since college, about 21 years ago. We've been in touch, lately - she lives in the metropolitan area - but we haven't actually seen each other. So this could have gone either way, you know. We could have stared at each other with nothing to say. Or we could have just fallen back into conversation.

Luckily, it was the latter.

We had a great hug in the lobby before the show, followed by a conversation. She came and sat with me during intermission and we talked. And, after the show, we talked some more. Sure. There was a little smalltalk, but there was also plenty of just plain talk. It was great.

Definitely a better way to spend the afternoon than editing a thoroughly mediocre manuscript.

No comments: