Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Ins and Outs and Doorbells

Do you ever have one of those days where things mostly go right, but - somehow - things just seem a little off? Today was one of those days.

As I was getting to work this morning, I walked into the building with one of my co-workers. He's not someone I talk to alot (we work on completely different projects), but we've collaborated on a couple of things. More importantly, we've commiserated about a few situations (and people) from time to time. He's one of the few people in the office who is older than me, and I think the fact that we are each old enough to be considered to be in a different generation than the rest of the staff... well... that was a bonding thing. Anyway, as we were walking in today, he commented that today was his last day. Not his "giving notice" day, but his actual last day.

He said his good-byes around lunchtime and then just kind of left. So, of course, after he was gone I went into his old cubicle and took his chair. It's basically the same as mine, but my old one kept trying to push me forward, while his sits up normally. Heck it even lets me lean back and slouch a little. It made for a nice afternoon.

See... That's the kind of day it was.

After work, before meeting a couple of friends for dinner, I ran to Restoration Hardware to buy a new doorbell for the screen porch (which is being modified into a three-season room). You see, the renovation guys were able to come right on time, and there was a chance that they would need the doorbell tomorrow or later this week (instead of the originally predicted next week). Christopher and I had found a style we liked a week or so ago, but didn't know when we'd need it.

So, no problem. I ran to the store to buy it. I found a staff guy who was available immediately and pointed out the one I wanted to take home with me. Who knew that Restoration doesn't keep them in stock? You have to order them so that they'll be delivered to your home in 3-5 business days. Of course, when I got home after dinner, I found that they had already installed a little basic doorbell. Okay... yeah... the wiring is moved, the doorbell is much more visible than it used to be, and we're good to go. Except that we still want a different doorbell.

Like I said. One of those kinds of days.

I think I might need to go to bed before I have anything else to add.

No comments: