Wednesday, April 21, 2010

World Dichotomies

I ought to be working, so I'm going to keep my post short, and simply refer you to a couple of other things to look at. You have to promise me that you'll look at the other things, and then come back here and comment. Can you do that for me?

**Sidenote to my folks: To comment, you can log in as "Google ID" and then fill in your email address as the user ID, and then your password. That should allow you to leave a comment without always being anonymous.**

(Everyone say 'hi' to my folks!)

But, to the news of the day.

As far as I can tell, it was a very "One step forward, one step sideways" day in the world of gay news.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America made the huge decision to... well... to treat Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgenders, and all the rest of us like people. I mean, really, that's what deciding not to discriminate is really all about: Treating people like people. Read a longer article here, and then go out and hug an Evangelical Lutheran!

Of course, if you're paying attention (and I'm sure you all, because I heard you all saying hello to my folks), you know that there was also some oddly not good news in the world of equal rights this week.

It seems that Cyndi Lauper (who is currently on "The Celebrity Apprentice") has been getting bashed for being an advocate for gay rights. Apparently, as part of the show, she helped some people makeover their singing careers (or maybe just their looks), and the proceeds from their songs are going to be going to a charity which promotes understanding and tolerance of other people.

But there are some folks who don't seem to like Lauper's politics (that whole "love one another" thing can be so pesky), and so they're boycotting the sales and posting some downright nasty comments online attacking her. I don't think I'm explaining this well. Go here for the full story.

Wow. All that stuff in such a little space. I guess I'll have to save my link to the Muppet version of Queen's song (which is up for a Webby award) until later this week.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It would seem that only religions which ordain women as their leaders have the intelligence to recognize gay rights. Catholics are looking at possibly some change in 2020.