Saturday, June 26, 2010

Saturday - In the Shade

Having almost fully peeled off last week's sunburn, I'm actively staying out of the sun this weekend. Well, mostly. We are planning to go to a mostly-outdoor party this afternoon, but I'll be covered in 100SPF sunscreen for that.

Today is actually a rather humid, cloudy day. I guess it's pretty nice out - especially when you consider last night's weather. The storms that rolled through after rush hour last night left our house pretty much unscathed. Our corn stalks, which were finally about 8 inches tall, were knocked completely out of the ground by the 1 or 2 inches of rain that came through in about an hour, and dirt splattered about 4 feet up the fence. Most of our garden looks kind of waterlogged - and we had no internet for a while - but we were really lucky.

If you've seen any of the news from last night showing flooded roads (including I-35W), you saw what we avoided by leaving to go out to dinner about 30 minutes before it rolled through. And although we heard the tornado sirens, we didn't see anything. Instead, we were lucky enough that, when we went out after dinner, we saw orange clouds with a rainbow in front of them.

There are threats of more harsh weather tonight, but since my goal is to stay indoors and out of pretty much any kind of weather, I think I'll be okay.

No comments: