Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sun-baked Weekend

What a weekend. Ohmigosh. You already know about the amazing Patti Lupone concert on Friday night.

Saturday was filled with Rugby. It was supposed to be a sunny day, and turned out to be a cloudy, grey, drizzly, breezy day in Blaine. Of course, that means that although I spent about half of the day huddled against the wind, I left at the end of the day with what has - over 24 hours - revealed itself to be a bit of a nasty sunburn on my face, neck, and chest. Yes, it's also on my legs and arms, but I'm the most red on the areas above my shoulders.

It's weird, but that sort of sums up my weekend, in some odd ways. It was a weekend of expectations that got modified, and realities that turned out pretty... well... glowing. We had a great time watching multiple games of rugby. Frequently, I had no idea what was going on, but that didn't stop me from cheering and shouting throughout the day.

Christopher wasn't able to go out with us - he stayed home to deal with some cable/internet/phone stuff we've got going on. So that was a little strange - as well as leaving me handicapped in not having him to explain the games to me. But I spent time between matches with my friends from Dallas. (Hmm... Maybe that's why Christopher didn't go: to avoid having to listen to us reminisce too much.) The rest of us watched some really good games (with some really good-looking players), and then I headed home to spend an evening on the couch with Christopher and the dog we were dogsitting for the weekend.

Today, Christopher and I (and the dog) headed up to check out some more rugby. We met up with our friends and watched part of the final Dallas game. Because there was going to be at least an hour or two before the next matches, we said good-bye to the Dallas contingent (hoping to see them again in less than 7 years!), and headed out to a really relaxed Father's Day dinner with Christopher's family. (Which also became "Birthday Part Three" for me with an incredible cake.)

Home for the evening, I slathered another layer of Aloe vera onto my sunburn, and the Christopher and I settled in for a last snuggle with the dog before his family came to pick him up. And, well, that brings us to right about now.

If only my work week could also start out kind of grey and drizzly and end up relaxed and wonderful... But I have to admit that even I don't have that kind of imagination.

No comments: