Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dusk

One of my favorite things about this time of year is the re-appearance of dusk.

I know you all know what it is, and I know that it's around all year, but that strange time between sundown and twilight is amazing in this part of the world this time of year. (I say "this part of the world" because I've been places where the time from sundown to darkness is mere minutes.)

You see, we've been dealing with the sun going down at about 4:30 in the afternoon, and now - finally - it's starting to get later. These days, it's going down around 4:50. Which means that, on my drive home, I'm still seeing light in the sky. In fact, some nights the clouds are still lit with reflected sunshine as I'm driving.

Tonight, though, the sky was cloudless as I was making my way home. But that's not to say that there was nothing to look at.

The sky gradually shifted from light blue, to golden, to shades of ultramarine as I drove. Never really bright, but always still lit.

A month ago, my drive home was in the pitch dark. A month from now, it will be light enough that the sky won't ever get to that vibrant dark blue until I'm home.

But now - just now - I get to drive home at dusk. And that makes at least some of these winter days worthwhile.

No comments: