Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Movie Monday - Black Swan

Okay. Yes. I know that it's Tuesday. But I just got home from seeing "Black Swan" and I have to say something about it.

The problem is, I'm not totally sure what to say.

If you haven't seen anything about it, "Black Swan" stars Natalie Portman as a ballerina getting her shot at the lead role in "Swan Lake." But, more importantly, it's about the price you pay in the search for perfection.

And, on that second note, it's not just her character that's on the way to loonyville. She's surrounded by an overbearing mother (Barbara Hershey), a possibly back-stabbing "friend" (Mila Kunis), a director who is a little too hands-on (Vincent Cassel), and a former lead dancer with some serious issues (Winona Ryder).

This is not a movie for the faint of heart. It's got some beautiful dancing in it, and the music is incredible throughout, but... well... there's some blood - which isn't as bad as some of the things that happen to cause the bleeding - and, frankly, I'm expecting to have at least one or two nightmares over the next few nights from it. (Or at least really really vivid dreams.)

Of course, those same reasons that I'd caution some people to go to it are the reasons that the movie is so good. It's intense on so many levels. It's not easy to sit through, but you don't want to look away (although I had to a few times). I also found myself trying to get into the fetal position in my seat a couple of times. But I also laughed once or twice, and... wow... the dance sequences are kind of amazing.

Is it worthy of all of the Oscar buzz? Maybe, but not necessarily for Natalie Portman. Some of the rest of the cast with smaller roles had larger impact, really. But should it win some of the "ensemble" awards from groups like the Golden Globes? Definitely.

Overall rating: A-. I've got to say that it was *so* close to a solid A, but missed it by just one or two slightly-unexplained moments.

No comments: