Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tiz List #7 - The Workplace Edition

Okay. I realize that I complain about my job from time to time. Or, well, maybe a lot.

But there are, in fact, things that I like about my job. And, since the point of a "Tiz List" is to give up info that you probably don't know about me, the topic of "positive things about my job" seems like a good focal point for today.

Let's see what I can dredge up:

1) I work at a company which produces - among other things - books. Actual, physical, honest-to-goodness books. That's cool.

2) I have a comfy chair.

3) There is no dress code where I work - so I can go to work in jeans and tennis shoes and - frankly - sometimes look more dressed up than 80% of the office. The fact that I comb my hair every day puts me ahead of at least 2 people in the office all by itself.

4) Many days the office conversations are not boring. In fact, last week we had a day where people were discussing "rolfing" and "fluffing." (If you don't know what those are, let me just say that one can be discussed in polite company, the other cannot.)

5) My phone has a whole lot of buttons which I get to push when I transfer people.

6) If you open the window behind our head graphic designer's desk, you can walk out onto the roof - which is a great place for Friday afternoon happy hours in nice weather.

7) Parking - while not free - is pretty darned cheap AND indoors. (And, in winter, is heated.)

8) I get to order the stamps I use for mailings, and I get to choose whatever styles I want.

9) Internet usage is not limited while at work, assuming you're getting your work done. Although, frankly, I don't know that anyone monitors whether the people who are spending all day watching YouTube and Netflix and Hulu are getting their work done. (Unfortunately, I don't have a job which allows me enough freeplay to do that.)

10) We're upstairs from a decent restaurant.

11) There's a good liquor store just around the corner.

12) There's a vending machine area one floor up from the office.

13) Contrary to what some of you may seem to think, I don't dislike everyone in the office. And, in fact, I can co-exist in a day-to-day office fashion pretty well with pretty much everyone.

14) My company is on the forefront of the whole ePublishing wave that is happening at the moment. That may mean that we won't be making as many actual books, but it's still kind of cool.

15) Although some are rather insane, some of the clients I work with are actually kind of cool.

16) This year I'll get 10 vacation days. (I know that, to many of you, that doesn't seem like much, but in 2010, I only got 5.)

17) If I do any freelance work through work, the taxes are taken out automatically from my paycheck (not the norm for freelance work).

18) Most of the delivery people who come in are nice, conversational, relatively interesting, and don't smell too much like stale cigarettes.

19) Our office has a kitchen with a fridge and not one, but two, microwaves.

And, possibly the best thing of all:

20) Our office has a kitchen with a toaster that actually has a Pop-tarts setting.

2 comments:

MizTiz said...

Pop tarts setting? Must have.

I love that you call it a TiZ List.

Felon Job Finder said...

Having fun reading your post.