Monday, January 31, 2011

Movie Monday - Blue Valentine


The point of most movie reviews, I realize, is to give some of the plot, talk about the actors, and then tell the reader whether or not to see the movie. Let me cut to the chase this week:

Go see "Blue Valentine."

Just do it. Don't ask any questions. Leave the kids at home. Spring for the popcorn (so you have an excuse to get a few extra napkins). Settle in to watch the movie. Thank me later.

Okay. I'll give you a few points:

It stars Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling. Williams is probably best known for "Dawson's Creek" on TV, for playing Heath Ledger's long-suffering wife in "Brokeback Mountain" on the big screen, and for being Heath Ledger's wife in real-life. Gosling was "Young Hercules" on TV, played the young lead in "The Notebook," and - honestly - I know nothing about his personal life except that he's not hard to look at.

The movie focuses on the two of them and their lives - both separate and together.

And they hold the screen - both separately and together.

This is a movie about family and about love, but I would not suggest it as a Valentine's Day movie.

What I would suggest, in case I haven't said it, already, is that you go see it. I'd also suggest doing that with as few preconceptions as possible. Kelly and I went to it last week truly only knowing who was in it, and what time it was playing. We both hate going to movies where we don't know what's going to happen. But, by the time it was under way, we were both really happy that we didn't know anything about it.

So... One last time: Go see "Blue Valentine." It's worth it.

Overall grade: A. (I'd give it an A+, but I don't want you to put your expectations too high.)

No comments: