Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Travel Tuesday - Slickfest

When Christopher and I went out to run a few errands last night after work, I turned to him as he was driving and asked whether the roads seemed slicker than they ought to be.

I asked that because, on my way home from work, I kept feeling myself sliding, just a bit - even with my All-Wheel-Drive car. But this was happening in the same places where there seemed to be pavement visible. It's not like we had 4 or 8 inches of snow - we'd been getting little flurries off and on all day (through tonight we've probably gotten 4 inches or so, but it's been very slow to come). The roads just looked "normal" and, yet, I was sliding. So, with Christopher driving, I thought I'd ask what it was like for him.

He agreed that it seemed a lot more slippery than it should have. Especially since, as we were talking about it, we fishtailed just a hair while coming around a corner.

This morning, while I was on my way to work, I watched two people on a major downtown street slide while turning. One of them had just sped past me changing lanes, only to do a sideways slide as she tried to go around the corner. (She stopped sliding when she bumped the snow ridge at the edge of the road - luckily, there was no one else at the corner at the time.) The other did a full 180-degree spin - which the people behind her saw happening so they could avoid.

And, of course, since it's been such a "small" snow, the plows have been a little slower to get out, so there are some areas which are beginning to look a little worse for wear.

Almost makes me wish for another big all-at-once snow.

Almost.

No comments: