Thursday, January 27, 2011

Phoneless

We are, presently, without our home phone.

I started my day, today, with 45 minutes of online chat with the Bombast customer service folks - during which it was rather obvious that the person I was chatting with was paying no attention to me. I know it's hard to really gauge this kind of thing, but about 30 minutes into the "conversation" the person said "Okay. Let me do some research using that information." Yeah... 30 minutes into the conversation. Because, apparently, I was just there for the fun of it during that first half hour.

In the 10 minutes after that, I actually called in to try to get a better response. It went a little more interestingly, at least. I found out, after saying that our phone had gone out, that apparently our service "has been dropping pretty regularly." In fact, that was one of the first things the guy said to me - that he could see we'd been having problems. He was rather surprised we hadn't called in before.

So we moved on to try to schedule an appointment for service. After an hour of my day going to the nice people at Bombast, I was informed that they could set up an appointment for 4-6pm tonight. Or from 8-10am tomorrow. I said I couldn't do either of those because I have to work. He said we could do the weekend, and I said I'd like to do it earlier than that. At which point he got a little... well... snarky and said "Well, we HAVE to send someone out. What would you suggest?" I suggested after 6pm tonight or before 8am tomorrow. Apparently, when he asked for suggestions, he thought he could out-snark me. He was wrong. His sighing response: "But we don't do that."

And... yeah. We've ended up with the Saturday 8am appointment. Luckily the technicians are usually pretty nice. Perhaps they could give the Customer Service staff some pointers.

No comments: