Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bunny Cake 101

I was "talking" this week with some friends about how our moms all used to do these really creative cakes when we were kids. There were teddy bear cakes for birthdays. And my sisters had those weird princess cakes (where the doll was frosted into the cake). And one of my sisters once made me a pan of frosted brownies in the shape of a Nike tennis shoe.

These days, so many cakes are made using pans that are whatever shape they're supposed to be - and then just frosted "as-is" - that this week I started thinking about the Easter Bunny cakes we used to have every year. The ones where you used two round cakes to make the Bunny - with ears and a bow tie.

I kinda decided to throw down, and accept, my own gauntlet. And, thus, the following took place earlier today. Enjoy the pictures (and a few captions), below.


First, we gather the supplies. High class all the way.

Sorry, no picture of the two cake rounds, but here they are with the cuts made. I had forgotten how large this ended up when laid out. Too big for our largest cookie sheet, so it's on a foil-covered plastic bin lid.

Tinting the coconut for the fluffy ear interiors. This was the second attempt - the first time around I put in too much food coloring and it would have made the ears look a bit... well... bloody.

First layer of frosting. Well, second layer, really. But I was reminded - the hard way - that it is nigh impossible to thin store-bought frosting for a crumb coat.

Looking pretty good. We used chocolate Twizzlers (snipped into a thinner, more bendy style), since neither of us likes licorice whips.

It just didn't look right without something on the foil. Some green-tinted coconut and we're good to go.

And a reality shot - with the tools of the trade in the background. Including, yes, two pairs of scissors: one for the paper ear pattern, and one to trim the Twizzlers.

I've got to say that it was a) harder than I remember; b) more fun than I remember; and, c) really fun to spend a few minutes connecting with my inner five-year-old.

(Thanks, Mom!)

1 comment:

Robin said...

Did it taste yummy, too? We just went with the strawberry pie standard...