Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tiz List #8 - The Spring Edition

(Don't know what a Tiz List is? Check out the earlier postings by clicking on "Tiz List" in the left-hand column, down toward the bottom.)

1) As a general rule, I love spring. I love the promise it holds, the optimism in the air, the bursting forth of the greenery from the earth.

2) I don't really like mud. Or wet sand. Or anything that has to be cleaned off of your shoes before you walk into a house.

3) I really don't like having to wipe down the dog's feet on the way into the house.

4) I think someone should invent a doggie foot cleaner for that.

5) It would have to be something dogs enjoy. No way in the world am I going to try to make a dog stand around - when wet - to do something she doesn't want to do.

6) Really. That's the problem with #3 in the first place.

7) I like having the doors and windows open.

8) We have only been able to have the doors and/or windows open 3 days so far this year without freezing.

9) When going out to sit in our breezeway/former screen porch/whatever we're calling it, it's always safest to not only unlock the kitchen door, but also to take your keys along in case it blows shut and you've forgotten to unlock it.

10) Climbing through the kitchen window (which only works if the security pegs aren't in place, anyway) is really painful.

11) I think I still have marks around my waist from the screen window structure from last spring.

12) Yes. That brunch was worth it.

13) Spring makes me want a new wardrobe.

14) Spring also makes me want a new body.

15) I'd prefer to have both of those without having to spend money or energy.

16) Or dieting.

17) I know that #14 is impossible without #15 and/or #16, but it doesn't make me stop wanting it/them.

18) To celebrate spring (and, okay, because the ear piece in my old cellphone died), I got a new phone last week.

19) It took almost 48 hours for the new phone to activate.

20) It might have been done sooner, but I was following the instructions given to me by customer service. Christopher's suggestion on the phone on the second night had the phone active in about 30 seconds.

21) I prefer my old phone. Especially since there are a bunch of text messages on it that I don't want to lose. And 3 photos Christopher sent me from his travels - one from the top of Mount Pilatus in Switzerland.

22) The inability to store things like those messages makes me sad for technology.

23) Sometimes I fear I'm too sentimental for spring.

24) Sentimentality seems to be a trait for people who like winter, or at least fall.

25) My goal for this weekend while Christopher is travelling was to do a good spring cleaning (aka a solid purging) of both paperwork and clothing from the basement where my stuff is stored.

26) I spent much of my weekend trying to get caught up on shows I had stored on the TiVo, and not dealing with the paperwork and clothing in need of purging.

27) I rationalized not doing that purge by reminding myself that I've been pretty busy the last few weekends and needed some time to just hang out and do nothing.

28) And that cleaning out the TiVo was both a kind of purging and a thumbing of my nose toward technology.

29) I'm apparently very persuasive.

30) And have more of an anti-technology grudge than I knew.

31) I also figure that if the weather isn't going to act like it's spring then neither am I.

32) In honor of Passover coming this week, I went online to figure out what is an appropriate greeting. (You know, like is it okay to say "Happy Passover" when the story of it is kind of somber, really.)

33) I've been assured by a friend that the correct celebratory greeting, in Hebrew, is "Chag Sameach."

34) Still not sure if I should say "Happy" or not.

35) I am, however, happy that it is spring and that the tulips are up and the crocuses are blooming and the grass is turning green and that Christopher comes home this week and that optimism - regardless of how properly or improperly placed - is in the air.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

That post made me smile! (Oh - They have invented #4 - check out the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog.)