Monday, April 18, 2011

Mall-ing

I went to not one, but two, malls this past weekend. I had hoped to finish the little bit of shopping I was doing on Saturday, but the jeans I wanted weren't available in both my size AND the color I wanted at the mall I went to on Saturday. I was told, however, that they were available in three other malls, if I was interested.

I wasn't.

But then I got home and thought about it and realized that I kind of was. So, on Sunday, I left the comfort of the nice comfortable house and headed out to THE mall. Yes. That's right. The Mall of America.

Aside from the random special events (like last week when I took my folks out there to see the SDSU jazz band perform on Sunday afternoon), I try to avoid The Mall on weekends. I also try to avoid it on weekdays, but that's another matter.

You see, on weekends, it's filled with all these... people... who somehow survive driving like idiots in the parking lot only to prove to the world at large that they aren't just acting like idiots.

But, well, The Mall is kind of massive. And overwhelming. And it apparently brings out the idiot in a lot of people. People who stand in the middle of a store's entryway, with a stroller facing sideways blocking the entry, texting on their phones and not noticing that they're blocking the entryway. Completely.

And the people who walk through the corridors as if The Mall is a fabulous work of ancient architecture, slowly strolling along to make sure they take in every detail, taking pictures of the storefronts, backing up into the flow of pedestrian traffic while staring at their cameras.

And people who... well... let's just say that way too many of them have offspring. I can understand that adults can do whatever they want with their hairstyles. But when I saw the one kid (maybe 7 years old?) with the mohawk that was about a foot long, standing next to his younger brother whose hair was shaved on one side of his head, and kind of... well... "chunky" on the other, I had to wonder what the parents looked like. Then I saw them. I knew they were all together because they all go to the same barber/weedwhacker for their haircuts.

I have never bought jeans and left a shopping area with such alacrity in my life.

No comments: