Saturday, April 30, 2011

Yes. I Watched.

Having recorded multiple hours of the Royal Wedding broadcast on BBC America, yesterday, I decided to make time today to watch at least some of it.

I have to admit that I really enjoyed watching it. The pomp and circumstance was pretty amazing, and BBC America did well at explaining the history behind a lot of what was going on, without making it into a history lesson.

I liked watching the arrivals at Westminster Abbey - although I would have enjoyed knowing who more of the people are (aside from the endless shots of the Beckhams) - and watching the carriage procession afterward was pretty cool, too.

Christopher didn't watch any of it. He kind of gave the TV sidelong glances as he walked through the room. Maybe that difference has to do with the fact that I had a TV in 1981 when Charles and Diana were married. Or maybe the fact that my mom is Canadian has something to do with it. Either way, I watched a decent amount of the first 5 hours of the broadcast.

For the record, I watched PARTS OF the first 5 hours. Not all of it. I fast-forward-ed through a large amount of the stuff about the dress designers and the family gossip and all that. But I did watch all of the royals and paid attention to the interior of Westminster Abbey. And I both enjoyed - and was appalled by - some of the hats.

And, yes, I was kind of blown away by it. But I'm also really glad I didn't get up at 5am for it. I may be crazy, but I'm not that kind of crazy.

1 comment:

Lorry said...

And your great-grandparents, Amy and Will Simpson, lived in Sheffield, England, before moving to Canada in l905.