Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thrashback Thursday

I don't really have a problem with the occasional spoilers before I watch a TV show or a movie - or even when I read a book. I always figure that even if I know a single detail, the rest of the journey from the beginning to the end could still be a lot of fun.

That's why I don't usually worry about being the first person to see a movie. Or about hearing people talk about TV shows I haven't seen. I mean, it's not like I go out and hunt for those people, but I also don't run screaming with my fingers in my ears if they say something.

But here's the thing: Lately, a *lot* of TV shows have been starting episodes with some overly dramatic event, then doing something like "36 Hours Earlier" and backing up.

It's as if they don't think the journey is interesting on its own, and that we need to have enough of a teaser to get us to stay through the first 50 minutes of the show. It used to be that this would happen about once every season. I'd have a few shows I watched regularly and one of those shows would use the technique.

In the past two weeks, I've had at least 3 shows do it, though. And I gotta admit that I think it's getting really old.

Kinda makes me wish every network would flash back to 10 (or 20) years earlier before they start next season.

No comments: