Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Wiki Wednesday

Sometimes I really wonder what people would think if they saw what I did online searches for while at work.

I'm not talking about the random things that I find online via my email or whatever, but the things which are truly job-related.

In the past few months, I've worked on manuscripts involving heaven, Nazi Germany, and "creative sexuality." I've also done work on a book about 1960s tennis and one on growing up in Brentwood (CA) in the late 50s.

Where I work, none of this is really looked at as all that strange. It's expected that I'll be searching Wikipedia or Google or anywhere I can find to verify the info in these books. The only thing that would really bother anyone is if my searches were crashing our internet connection - which is not going to happen. I mean... heck... a woman who used to work here would spend most of her day with one monitor on "work" while the other was taken up by streaming videos. So you know that the fairly small bandwith of information I'm downloading is not even noticeable in the grand scheme of things.

On the other hand, you hear the stories about how most search engines are tracking where its users go (and - for once - openly doing so). They say this is for the sake of research, so they can send the "right" ads to their users.

And, sure, sometimes when I'm searching on Google the answer I'm looking for pops up before everything else. Which is cool.

At the same time, though, I'm not sure I really want ads based on my supposed fascination with German military ranks, 1960s women's tennis undergarments, sexuality, and St. Peter.

Hmm... On second thought, it might be kind of interesting for the internet folks to try.

No comments: