Sunday, May 6, 2012

Well, I *Meant* To...

What a weekend of yardwork I had planned.

I was going to swap some peony cages around so that the taller ones in the front yard (which weren't so tall last year) would have them, instead of the ones in the back yard which don't seem to want to be as tall this year.

I was going to put some new water-hose-sprayed fertilizer into the planting beds before the plants got too far along.

I planned to go to the hardware store for some "Milky Spore" which is supposed to kill the grubs which a) kill grass by eating the roots; and b) strip leaves of pretty much everything once they become beetles.

I was even going to try to do a little weeding while checking to see if any more of our early irises are still around.

And then it started to rain.

Yesterday, it started to rain in the early afternoon when I was out to brunch and a movie. By the time I got home, it was already too wet to putter in the yard. Then last night happened.

Sure, they had said that today would be the nicer day of the weekend. They just didn't tell us what we'd have to get through to get to it. We were all awakened at about 2:15 by a thunderstorm that included hail, rain, lightning, thunder, and plenty of wind. Believe me - for all three of us to get up and wander around the house and look outside it had to have been bad.

Thankfully, we seem to have made out okay. No obvious hail damage (except for the loss of any remaining petals from anything still in bloom), and only a few twigs in the backyard from the neighbor's maple tree. We have a friend who apparently got a flooded basement from the storm, and it certainly could have been a lot worse.

But even though it did eventually almost get sunny late in the day the yard is way too wet to work in. So no weeding, feeding, or grub killing today. It's a weird feeling, you know - feeling bad about not doing a ton of work on a day off. I'm really not sure I like it.

No comments: