Thursday, May 19, 2011

Overwhelmed, In An Underwhelming Sort Of Way

Do you ever have days when you're just feeling so overwhelmed that you want to completely unplug? Where deleting your entire inbox sounds like fun, and unplugging every piece of electronics in the house sounds like the best idea in town?

Right now, I have 62 emails in my "not-quite-spam" inbox (16 are unread) which I'm ignoring, and 114 emails in my regular inbox (22 are marked as unread) which I really want to respond to, but have no idea how I can do it. I've also got 7 messages on Facebook that I ought to respond to in the near future.

There are outstanding, semi-open-ended, invitations out in the ether for at least two post-work happy hours, one short road-trip, and - I think - about 4 or 5 dinners.

I've got updates which I received electronically that need to be transferred to my physical address book, two short pieces I need to write up for work, and a load of laundry that I need to fold and put away.

Oh, and I forgot to buy popcorn salt (yes, there's a difference) on the way home from work, today.

So, what did I do this evening? I had dinner with Christopher, then watched a really bad movie in the basement while he watched a much better (I'm pretty sure, at least) movie upstairs.

Writing this posting has taken me about 2 hours, because I keep feeling like I ought to be doing something else.

And I've finally figured out what that something is:

I'm going to bed.

Tomorrow is Friday. Maybe that, in and of itself, will be the incentive I need to clear some of the brain clutter.

No comments: