Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wednesday... What to say?

Some days I'm all set with a focus of what to say when I sit down to write a blog posting. Some days it flows easily and I find myself feeling happy and pithy when I'm done. Some days I simply pause the TV for a couple minutes, write, proofread, and post and go one with my evening.

This is not one of those days.

Here are the three things currently running through my mind:

1) I'm still hurting from my volunteer shift at the Plant Sale last weekend. Not nearly as much as I was on Sunday, not nearly as little as I had hoped I would be hurting by now. Apparently something I tweaked must have contact with a nerve, because my right big toe is currently tingling. Summary: I fear I am getting old this week. Could also be: I fear, this week, I am getting old. Or: This week, I fear I am getting old. Kind of an "all of the above" situation.

2) We had flurries a week ago Monday. Last night we had tornado warnings and 2.5" hail on a day that topped out in the upper 80-degree range. The dog is not doing well with the temperature swing on her walks. Neither are the rest of us. In an attempt to cool off the house (it's 10 degrees cooler outside), I opened some windows. Now it's cooler, but stickier. Summary: Spring kinda sucks this year.

3) The Republican-led Minnesota State Senate approved a measure which would put an amendment to the state constitution onto the ballot (I think in 2012?) making Gay Marriage un-constitutional in the state. It's already against the law in the state, which means that politicians and political action committees in favor of this are going to be spending millions of dollars on campaigns to make - in essence - no changes. (Isn't there a better use for that money?) This on the same week when Minneapolis has just been called one of the "hippest" and "gayest" (two different polls, yet oddly connected) cities in the country. The measure now moves to the State House, where it is expected to pass easily, putting it on the ballot and causing all sorts of rancor and dischord for the next few years. Not sure how that puts us into the "hip and gay" rankings. Summary: Perhaps as I'm looking for a new job, I should be looking elsewhere.

Now I'm going to pour myself a glass of milk (to help my bones and muscles heal), sit in front of the fan, and try to figure out how it is that Iowa is more gay-friendly than Minnesota.

No comments: