Saturday, May 21, 2011

To Rapture or Not To Rapture

Okay... You've probably heard all of the hype that some crackpot is pushing about the Rapture happening at 6pm, today. Lord knows that I heard about it over and over and over and over at work over the past few days.

What I find interesting is the number of people who say they don't care, but then are talking about it as if it's a done deal of some kind. Of course, I find that - even more fun - most people have no idea what The Rapture is supposed to be about. There's this weird mix of "It's the end of the world..." and "Everyone who is chosen disappears and we all get to trash the joint."

When I mention things like the "fact" that one of the early versions of the story say that only 10,000 people are supposed to be Raptured (after all, when these tales were starting that was a LOT of people), or the "fact" that - after whoever is going goes - the rest of us just go on about our lives for 1,000 years.

Of course, the crackpot who is pushing this current one (7 minutes from now and counting), says that 200 million people will be taken. The rest of us are supposed to be plagued by rolling earthquakes and destruction. I guess it's good when you can pick or choose your doomsday stories...?

Then there's the whole Biblical point of the idea that we are never to know the time of the next coming, etc. Which would make the whole 6pm-on-the-dot thing kind of an issue.

Either way, I figure I've got another 1,000 years to go. Which is good, because if the world ends 4 days before my first vacation in 2 years, I'd be seriously pissed.

2 minutes to go...

If any of you get (or got) Raptured, I guess my average daily readership will go down. But, yeah, good for you.

No comments: