Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mulch Ado About Nothing

Obviously, this posting is not about Hurricane Irene - which is doing massive damage along the East Coast of the US right now. And it's not about the wedding Christopher and I went to earlier today. It is, however, about Mulch.

It's about something like 275 cubic feet of Mulch which Christopher and I had delivered to us by our yard guy, yesterday.

I think I've mentioned that we had our house-adjacent landscaping pulled out earlier this year. At that time, they cleared out all of the red lava rock that had been in the planting beds. Then we painted the house, had the beds newly edged, and decided that our last step before next year was simply to get some mulch down on it.

It's kind of amazing how much mulch it takes to cover planting beds on two sides of a house. When it was covering half of our driveway, it kind of looked a little like Big Bird's friend Mr. Snuffleupagus had decided to take a nap in the yard. Gradually, I got it moved around the yard and around the house.


By the time I was done, I'd mulched the planting beds around the house. The beds at the back of the yard. The area along the north side of the house (which no one sees), and the willow tree in the back yard.

I'd also mulched two pairs of socks to the extent of deciding it was easier to throw them out than to try to clean them.

So now we have mulch in the planting beds which - hopefully - will help our new landscaping plants grow next spring. And, in the meantime, it will (again, hopefully), keep any new weeds from coming up. Because if I did all that work and anything comes up randomly through the mulch... well... I'm not going to be happy.

And, thus, although you probably thought I'd forgotten it, we have the "Mulch Ado About Nothing."

No comments: