Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Something That Makes Me Happy

I know that, yesterday, I posted about a few things that are kind of freaking me out in the world at the moment.

Well, today in my inbox I got a poem sent by the nice folks at Knopf Doubleday, home of the Borzoi Reader.

It seems that we, as a nation, have a brand-spankin' new Poet Laureate, in the person of Philip Levine.

Now, I have to admit that I don't know much about Mr. Levine. Nor do I really follow current poetical trends or anything. But I do love - rather a lot, actually - the fact that our nation, in all its screwed-up-ed-ness, still has a Poet Laureate.

And, having read the one poem which the nice people from the Borzoi Reader sent out to my email, I've got to admit that I'm rather glad that - for this moment in time - it's Mr. Levine.

The poem can be found by clicking this link. (I'm not copying and pasting because I don't want to muck with copyright stuff.)

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Here's to mountains and oceans and valleys and all the little stuff that makes them so grand.

No comments: