Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wemille Wednesday

Today is the last day in my office for the person who - quite frankly - has been keeping me sane for the past 2 years (we both became full-time at the same time). Christopher and I have joked about that whole "sanity" thing from time to time, and she also knows that it's how I feel. But she has gotten a new job away from this office - where we frequently have to have "luncherventions" to keep people from shooting their computers, or their co-workers.

And, yes, her departure is going to mean a bit of a move up in the office world for me, too. So, good news for her AND good news for me. (Although - until my change in status is solidly official I'm not going to say much more about it.)

It's a strange day, though, and it's been a strange couple of weeks. We've become good friends - and so it's hard to imagine not being able to send messages and chat all day during the drudgery of the workday. Luckily, over the past few months I've been trying to expand my work-friend base, so I won't be left eating lunch in a corner or anything.

But I don't know that any time soon there will be someone I'll want to eat lunch with once or twice each week. Or to talk about both work and non-work for 15 minutes in the garage after work before driving away. Or, frankly, to be able to call a silly name like "Wemille" - a nickname she got because an author sent in a note to her a while ago which, frankly, looked like it was addressed to "Wemille." (In the cases where she is called Wemille, I'm called Mitch. Which is an even longer story...)

So we've spent today sending totally random emoticons in our Instant Messages. And counting down the time until she can fly and be free of here. It's a good day, really.

After all, I got to use the title "Wemille Wednesday" for a blog post. Can't complain about a day like that, right?

No comments: