Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Too Old Tuesday

It seems that pretty much every few months a new reminder comes up that I'm not quite as young as I used to be.

Sometimes it's something obvious, like my back actually hurting after doing yardwork. That one I could ignore, because I'm doing more yardwork than I've ever done in the past. So I can't compare two equal examples to see what's worse. And, thus, I can't blame aging on the new back fun.

There's the non-annoyance of not being carded when I go out and order a drink. Of course, what's strange about that is that I never really got carded when I was under 21 (I always kind of looked like I was 25 - it was weird), so that's not a change. These days, though, it kind of would be nice to at least be asked from time to time for my ID.

But the worst of it is dealing with the after effects of a night's activities. Last night I didn't drink. I didn't go out. I didn't even have a big dinner. And, yet, I've been paying for it all day. What did I do? I stayed up until 12:45. Working. That's right. I wasn't having fun. I wasn't carousing. I was just sitting and working on my laptop. And, yet, when the alarm went off at 7 this morning, I thought I was going to die. I have no idea how I'm still awake after 10 tonight. I almost fell asleep at my desk at about 3. And I haven't had any caffeine.

What happened to the days when studying until 2 and getting up at 7 for classes was normal? And when am I finally going to hit the point where - supposedly - I'm going to need LESS sleep each night?

After all, if I'm going to have to keep dealing with the non-fun stuff about getting older, don't I at least deserve that?

No comments: