Monday, March 5, 2012

Movie Monday - The Artist

By now I'm sure you've seen the hype about "The Artist." You know it's in black and white. You know it's a "silent" movie. You've seen that it won the Oscar for Best Picture, and that Jean Dujardin won Best Actor.

I knew all of that going into it, too.

What I didn't know was just how good the movie would be. Yes, even with all of that, I still had my doubts. And, when my friends started to tell me they really liked it, well, then I started to get my hopes up about it and worry that "The Artist" wouldn't be able to live up to my expectations.

I'm happy to say that my expectation were met, and that I think that the movie deserves all of the hype.

It really was fun. And sad. And moving. And attention-grabbing. And black and white. And mostly silent. And at no time did I miss the voices.

There are moments where the "background" music disappears and you realize how silent everyone in the theater is, as well. Christopher commented that the audience for a movie like this is probably "self-selecting" - so you don't get the loud talkers and the texters and everyone in a silent movie. Whatever the reason, it was blissfully interruption free in the movie, yesterday.

So, let's cut to the (classic car) chase.

Overall rating: A+. I think it did live up to the hype (which can be very hard), while also being true to itself. (And, okay, Jean Dujardin... well... let's just say that I'm hoping we see him in some more movies on American screens, soon.)

No comments: