Monday, December 22, 2008

Movie Monday - "Australia"

Last week, while my folks were here, we took the opportunity to head out to a late-afternoon matinee of "Australia."

I'm sure you've heard of it. It's the epic movie starring Aussies Hugh Jackman and Nicole Kidman and directed by (Aussie) Baz Luhrmann. Even more Aussie than all of them is Brandon Walters, who steals the show as the Aboriginal "half-caste" child who narrates the film.

I had seen trailers for it way back when, in which Kidman was telling a small child the tale of "The Wizard of Oz" and it was being equated to the history of Australia. Since then, I've seen the trailers where the movie looks like a Western with a Romantic Comedy thrown in. Needless to say, I had no idea what to expect when the lights dimmed.

Oh. I should mention a few things: 1) We were the only three people in the theater; 2) The movie is 2h45m long; 3) We had purchased the "Pop and Popcorn" combos as our dinners for the night. Why is this all important? Because it's much easier to go into an almost-three-hour movie when you're comfortable. Since we figured we wouldn't annoy anyone if we got up to use the bathroom mid-movie (and then had to talk to the person next to us to get caught up), it was much easier to settle in.

And settle in we did. When the movie was over, we all admitted that it didn't seem like it had been three hours. But... I get ahead of myself.

The story revolves around an upper-crust Englishwoman (Kidman) who goes to straighten out her husband in Northern Australia. On her arrival, she is greeted by The Drover (Jackman), a working-class cattle driver. When they reach the ranch, she finds out that her husband has been found murdered, their ranch is without water, and the entire place is being run by the staff--all non-white and terrified by a local major land-owner.

The movie begins with the ranch and the murder mystery. Then it becomes a cattle drive western. Next it becomes a story of power struggles and land rustling. Finally it wraps around into a wartime adventure film. 

I know it sounds like it should be four separate movies. And it could easily have been choppy or... well... lumpy, at the least. But it's not. Somehow the movie seamlessly flows from one area to the next. Although I admit that I wasn't thrilled with the war movie at the end, I should fully disclose that I'm just not a war movie watcher. And, even with that extra component, I still found myself coming to the end of the film wanting to see it again so I could pick up the small points.

I feel like I'm leaving so much out. There are small characters throughout who make all the difference--the bartender in Darwin, the ranch staff, The Drover's team, the "bad guys"--all make this movie more interesting moment to moment. 

There is amazing music in the movie. There are great vistas and scenery which at once makes you want to go visit, and terrifies you. And, oh, yeah, there is Hugh Jackman looking absolutely amazing (I saw him say in an interview that he loved the role because it was the first time in ages that he got to use his own accent). 

I fully intend to drop "Australia" into my Netflix queue for when it comes out. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again and catching more of the nuances in the spectacle.

Does Nicole Kidman's forehead ever move? I don't think so. Is this a movie which is big enough for you to forget that Nicole Kidman's forehead doesn't move? Definitely. 

Go see it. Now. It's the perfect 3-hour break from all the Holiday family time.

No comments: