Tuesday, December 2, 2008

When is a Trip Considered "Travel"?

I know that it's Travel Tuesday and, thus, this should probably be a post about... well... travel, but the only place I've been lately is out to Christopher's family's place in Stillwater for Thanksgiving. 

I guess that, for some people, the fact that it's a 45-minute drive makes it worthy of being called travel, but for those of us out here in the middle of the country that's not nearly far enough for the "T" word. For us, "travel" has to refer to drives of multiple hours--probably at least 2. So the trip I made for the birthday party a couple months ago was travel. The trip Christopher and I took Up North was travel. Driving to what equates to the other side of town is not travel. 

Of course, my sisters who live out in LA with their families drive hours per day just to commute, and that isn't really travel, either, since it's simply commuting. Hmmm... So I guess it's more a distance thing than a time elapsed thing. 

Whenever I've been in Europe (including, for this argument, Great Britain), I've been surprised that people find a 2-hour train ride to be a major excursion. And the idea of a 5-hour drive is way too excruciating to undertake more than once a year. So in that case, a trip is considered travel even when the destination is much closer than what we talk about here in the Midwest. For instance, that 45-minute drive out to Thanksgiving would have been "travel."

Where am I going with this discussion? I'm not sure, either, but I hope you enjoyed the trip...

No comments: