Monday, January 5, 2009

Of Mae, Will, and Wall-E

I've actually seen a whole bunch of movies in the past week, but I don't know how to wrap them all up in one post. Which doesn't mean I'm not going to try...

Movie 1 - "She Done Him Wrong" - It's a Mae West movie from 1933, and... well... that's really all you need to know about it. West is glorious in it--if for no other reason than it's impossible to believe that she could move in her clothes. But she's also sassy and brassy and, somehow, classy as the "liberated" woman who still sings in the nightclub, but doesn't walk the streets. Oh. Yes. There's actually a plot, which involves mafia ties, the mission next door (run by an undercover cop--a VERY young--Cary Grant) and a young woman who is saved from committing suicide just downstairs. It's a short movie, but it's packed with so much power that it's really a must-see.

Movie 2 - The Reduced Shakespeare Company's "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)" - Oddly enough, the title of the disc is almost longer than the number of words they devote to any of the 37 plays (and ALL the sonnets) which they send up in the 90-minute show. If you haven't seen anything like this... well... it's 3 guys playing all of the parts and tossing out just enough lines from the shows to make it a little more scholarly than you'd expect. Yes, it's best if you know at least some Shakespeare before you watch it, but the fact that they admit that they focus on the tragedies "because they're funnier" than the comedies. Well. I think anyone can appreciate that. 

Movie 3 - "Wall-E" - I know. This one came out last summer, and I'm pretty sure I wrote about it when I saw it in the theaters. But last night, around a fabulous meal which Christopher prepared  (the entree was Beef Wellington, and the dessert was a from-scratch Kouign Amann--if you want to know more about those, ask me!), we settled in and watched "Wall-E" again. Now, remember, this was also the day that the Christmas tree had come down. And the Beef Wellington was originally intended for New Year's, until we both felt too sick to celebrate. So last night, watching Wall-E and Eve and their wordless communications, eating our amazing meal, and snuggling up on the couch was like having one last celebration before "real" life kicked back in today. Okay. You're right. I know that's not a review of the movie, so here you go: It's really really really good. You should see it.

And there you have it. Three movies (and one fabulous meal) all in one Movie Monday posting. 

(If I were in Movie 2, this would be the point where I would jump up. Plant my feet. Do "jazz hands." And yell "Ta-DAH!" But I'm not.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mmmm I love your Wall-E review...so sweet. And I also love the mental picture of you jumping up with jazz hands (even if you didn't do it). :-P