Thursday, January 8, 2009

Riddle Me This...

Over the past few days I have been hit with a few odd questions, and I thought I'd share some of them with you so that they stop bouncing around in my head. 

I should note that, although there probably are answers to many of them, I don't have them. 

And, at the same time, I'm not sure I want a "real" answer to any of them, either. I mean, does anyone really want to know how the rabbit comes out of the empty hat? Isn't it more wondrous just knowing that he does?

And, yet, on the other hand, if you do have any insight into any of the following situations, please feel free to let me know.

1) Why, if the local news starts at 11am, would they refer to it as the "midday news" or--worse yet--the "noon news at 11"? 

2) If the sun is warm enough to melt the snow on the roof and cause it to drip and/or form icicles, why isn't it also warm enough to melt the snow and ice off of the driveway?

3) (Related to 2) How is it that soft, slushy, snow can become so hard-packed around your tires that it doesn't fall off when you drive? Shouldn't all of the salt and ice-melt stuff that has softened it in the first place cause it to degrade and fall out?

4) Why is it that, although I've taken the trouble to clear the entire front walkway, the postman insists on walking through the yard? Should I shovel multiple paths just for him?

5) Do all Blu-Ray disc players also play "regular" DVDs? And what, exactly, makes them different, anyway? (For someone with such a small amount of technical savvy, I'm amazed that I can blog...)

6) Why are TV show runs listed as "seasons" here in the States, but as "series" in Britain? (It can make DVD (Blu-Ray or otherwise) shopping a tad confusing...)

7) How much sunlight do you have to get to equate to 1,000 I.U. of Vitamin D3? Why do I suspect that there would be skin cancer--or freezer burn--involved if you waited around outside long enough to absorb it? And, it that's the case, are we sure it's good for us?

8) Why hasn't John Barrowman come up as a topic in any of my blog posts, lately?

Like I said. Strange things have been bouncing around in my head, lately. (And we won't even get into the weird dreams I've been having...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On the noon news.... some people (usually media sorts), regardless of where they are, seem to think the world revolves around the East Coast, meaning it would be noon at 11. (That's my answer, and I'm sticking to it.)

On all the melting snow verses freezing stuff... minute differences in temp, ie micro-climates, that create differences between just the road and the bottom of the car (also, the road is dealing with friction from the cars. The bottom of your car is not). (And once again, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it).

On Vit D... skin cancer, in general, was not an issue in this world until people started sunbathing (ie lying in the sun for hours). Think about all those farmers, all those kids who didn't come in until it got dark. People should've been dropping dead all over the place from skin cancer. But they weren't. Those farmers had sense enough to put on a hat, and those kids had sense enough to play in the shade. And I bet none of them suffered from Vit D defiencies. (Did I spell that word right?) (Freezing to death is another matter altogether.:-)

On DVD's and Blu-Ray.... I'm amazed I can figure out how to reply to a blog.:-)

Anonymous said...

Ooh ooh ooh (a vague 70s culture reference), I've found out the Vit D and sunlight answer-- 15 minutes, and it doesn't have to be all at once. (However, during that time, you might get frost bite, depending on where you are and how you're dressed).

And roofs (why isn't is "rooves"?) dripping while the ground is frozen? Either poor insulation or it's sorta the reverse of bridges freezing first-- the inside of the house is warmer (hopefully) than the outside, and so the roof itself can be just fractionally warmer than the air and thus begin the whole dripping process.

beke