Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Once-A-Year Meal

Pardon me for posting so late in the evening. And for posting such a short post after missing yesterday altogether. But I do have my reasons.

You see, dinner tonight found Christopher and I playing host to a couple of good friends. And Christopher made one of his most popular entrees--which we refer to as a "Once-A-Year" recipe: Macaroni and Cheese. 

No. This is not the kind of Mac & Cheese that I grew up with out of the blue box. It's also not the kind of recipe which is going to win an award for being new and innovative on the Food Network. 

It is, however, a high-fat, high-carb, artery-clogging masterpiece which takes more than 2 pounds of cheese (Sharp Cheddar, Colby-Jack, Muenster, and Velveeta) and one pound of pasta, adds in croutons and half-and-half, and comes out of the oven like a warm gooey helping of heaven. (And, with those ingredients, it could send you right to Heaven before dessert if you eat it too often!)

The four of us spent hours at the table eating and talking (we also had garlic bread and green beans with the Mac & Cheese), and finished off with a lemon pound cake which I absolutely love. Our friends just left, and now Christopher and I are both ready to slip into digestive comas.

Christopher's Mac & Cheese may only be a Once-A-Year meal, but it's sure worth waiting for!

No comments: