Friday, November 20, 2009

Channelling Carrie Fisher

When Christopher and I were in New York a few weeks ago, we went to see Carrie Fisher's one-woman show "Wishful Drinking." I may have mentioned it before, including the fact that I laughed for pretty much all two hours of the show.

This week, one thing that she said early in the show kept popping into my head. She said it at a point where she was laughing at herself and letting the audience know it was okay to laugh at her, too. She said something along the lines of:

"Laugh. It's my life, but it's got to be funny. After all, if it's not funny, then it's just true."

Unfortunately, a lot of this week I haven't been finding life funny. I've been finding it stressful and exhausting. And I've been feeling cash-poor and mentally without any reserves. And Christopher can probably attest to the fact that I've been less fun to be around than I usually try to be.

I was driving home tonight from an evening of Chinese food and movies with some friends, and that came into my head, again. I've still got a ton of work to do this weekend, and I'm still exhausted tonight (at only 10pm), but it's good that I have Carrie's reminder that I need to keep looking for the funny in all that I'm running up against.

And that's the truth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I've been conditioned by facebook to merely "like" things, so actually posting a comment is stressing me out... But I just wanted to say I really like this post and will try to channel you and Carrie more often. :)