Thursday, March 18, 2010

It's Flat Out There

It's strange how flat the world looks around here, now that almost all of the snow is gone. I noticed it when I got home tonight.

Not only were the clouds flat (as opposed to the fluffy ones that show up in spring and summer), but the ground is looking decidedly flat, as well.

The hillocks of snow which had added so much texture to the yards for so long, have completely disappeared during the last warm spell. The old grass is matted down from the winter, and nothing new has started to push up, yet.

I did find a few tulips sprouting up in a sheltered area next to the garage today, which I must admit gives me as much hope as it gives me fear. After all, we're supposed to have multiple below-freezing nights in the next few weeks, so I suspect I'll be doing a lot of covering of the plants before we get into full spring.

But, once that happens, the grass will start coming up, and the tulips and irises will push through. The daylilies will sprout, and the back corner of our yard will once again be covered with assorted colors and textures.

If we can just make it through the next few flat weeks...

No comments: