Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Hello, Spring? Is That You?"

If someone had told me 11 hours ago that today it would, finally, begin to feel like spring, I might have had to deck them. 

I mean... This morning when I got up there were a couple of inches of snow on the ground, and it was still coming down. In fact, most of the morning it was cold and snowy and all-around early-wintry feeling. 

Then, sometime in the early afternoon while Christopher and I were huddled up on the couch with the curtains closed watching the end of season two of Torchwood on DVD, the sun came out. (Good thing, too, because having watched the final episode, we'll be in John Barrowman withdrawal for a while. I don't think I could deal with that AND the lack of sun both at the same time.)

About 4:30, I went outside and took a tour of the yard to see what little shoots are starting to come up, and I did it in a t-shirt without a coat on!

** Sidenote ** I'm happy to say that, as Christopher was leaving the house yesterday afternoon, he came back in to get me. I followed him outside as he was gesticulating in the direction of the small flower bed we have just between the back door and the garage. I couldn't see why he was so excited about the mulch and dirt until... there... among the woodchips... I saw the tips of tulips coming up through the dirt. Hurrah! ** End Sidenote **

As I'm writing this, it's sunny enough that I'm having trouble seeing my computer screen, but I refuse to move, because the warm sun on the back of my neck as I sit on the couch is lovely. So much better than this morning when the light coming in from outside was simply reflecting off of the new blanket of snow.

Yes. I know there's still snow in the forecast for tomorrow. And that Minnesota is known for the occasional snows all the way through the first week of ((shudder)) May. But today spring does seem to be here. And I'm going to bask in it for as long as I can.

1 comment:

Laura said...

It snowed here today and yesterday. So wrong.