Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's "App," Doc?

I would hereby like to make a plug for "most over-used term of the year." I know that it's only the beginning of April, but I'm already tired of being pummeled by the... well... it's not actually a word... but we'll call it that so I can finish this sentence... the word "App."

It seems that every time I turn on the TV, there's a commercial for some tech gadget with new Apps available. And when I'm on my computer, I get pop-up ads suggesting that I might want to download new Apps. Honestly, the only App that these ads are going to get me to add into my daily life is apoplexy brought on by these ads.

Why is it so hard for people to use the entire word "Application"? After all, I have been led to believe that the term "App" is a shortened form of the real word "Application." I seriously doubt that it is in reference to any of the organizations which typing "app" into a Google search will pull up. 

** Sidenote, so you don't have to Google all by yourself ** 
Did you know that there is an Association of Professional Piercers? 
APP.com is owned by the Asbury Park Press. 
Typing "app" into the Google search bar will also bring up the Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate. 
Oh. And my favorite is something called "Atom Publishing Protocol" the first line of the description for them is, circularly: "Atom Publishing Protocol (APP) is an application level-protocol for..." Meaning that APP is app-level... Hmmm...
** End Sidenote**

Or, if saying the word Application takes too long because that's just way too many syllables, why not go for "Program"? That's only 2 syllables. Not only does it take almost no extra time to say in a commercial, but it would also mean that all of the above-18 and/or non-tech people would actually understand what these ads are talking about.

I know. I'm fighting a losing battle. I mean... Christopher is a moderate tech-geek, so I'm semi-surrounded by tech terms on a daily basis. Luckily, he knows enough to simply patiently try to explain things to me, and then just laugh politely when I still look totally befuddled. (Frequently this is followed by a pat on the head and being shooed out of the room so he can get back to work.)

On the other hand, if we all simply boycott the use of the word, we can at least not cause it to propagate more quickly than it already seems to be doing. Maybe if there's someone out there who is good at computers, we could have them create some process that will search the 'net and remove references to "App" and replace them with the full word "Application." What do you think? 

Or is there already an App for that? 

No comments: