Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Not a Trivial Night

For the second week in a row, Christopher and I have joined a couple of other friends for "Trivia Hell" at a restaurant called "Hell's Kitchen" in downtown Minneapolis. Last week was actually the very first week that they held it, and the four of us came in third. We were incredibly proud of ourselves. 

And then last night happened. Somehow our stars aligned with the trivia topics and we rocked our way through topics like "70s Glam Rock," an entire category about Nazi-era inventions, a full section on The Periodic Table, and -- the standard topic -- Current Events (which I frequently bomb on). For me, though, I couldn't have been happier than I was when the very first topic was unveiled: TV Theme Songs. 

Any of you who know me know that I watched (and still watch) way too much TV. If it's something I saw before college, you can bet that the song is stuck in my head somewhere. I must admit that I missed one of the 8 questions in the category (although we got the bonus question right), but my triumph of the evening was being able to name "Mr. Belvedere" based on the first two lines of the song. Okay, so when the answers were being given out I was mocked for knowing that, but... well... that's the curse I have to bear.

So I didn't know that Werner Von Braun invented the V2 rocket. Or that Joan Jett was a member of The Runaways. Or that Bing Crosby was the first recording artist to use magnetic tape. But... Really... Can humming any of those topics fill your day with memories of "Laverne & Shirley" or "The Greatest American Hero"?

Of course, I wouldn't have come anywhere near 1st place without the rest of my team. I think getting to sit at a table with 3 great friends for a raucous evening of dinner and talk and trivia... Well... That's where the real winning comes in. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww... So did you guys get first place last night??

Robert said...

Yep. :-) Of course, that wasn't the important part... Really... We didn't care about that at all. No loud applause and high-fives... No "woo-hoo" as we drove home... Nope. We're only there for the challenge... ;-)