Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Simply Had To Share

There are times when you see or read or hear something which kind of makes you stop and think "Wow. Life's not so bad, after all." 

Along those lines, I know some people who watch shows like "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" simply so they can enjoy the happy endings. I know people who bury themselves in favorite old books or old movies to get out of their funks. And we all know people who dive into chocolate, ice cream, or any combination of the two. For me, I know that days when I'm really down in the dumps I tend to use music to get me back up and running. And... yes... a good Broadway musical is frequently where I go for that. 

Today, though, I got hit over the head by a performance of a song which has never really been an "upper" for me. It popped up on my screen in front of me in a message from a friend, and I was kind of unsure what to expect. After all, the song in question ("I Dreamed a Dream") is more about realizing that life has passed you by than it is about going out and grabbing it. 

But Susan Boyle -- a singer auditioning for this season of "Britain's Got Talent" -- well... as much as she might have thought the song was about her life passing her by, the performance just might be the thing that helps things to turn out at least a little differently. (We can hope. The show is kind of like "American Idol" in that there are audition weeks before the actual competition and eventual prize-awarding. I guess we'll have to keep checking for updates online for the answers.) 

I don't want to give any more away, so I'm going to stop talking about it, now, and simply send you over to watch the video. Grab a tissue, though, because by the time you're at the end of the seven-and-a-half-minute video, you may need it. 

I'd love to hear your comments when you're done. (Including how many people you've forwarded it on to. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Robert. What a wonderful story! That song already gives me chills, but her voice--along with her story--made it even more emotional. Mmm...I'm still smiling. :)