Monday, August 24, 2009

Getting What You Paid For

Sometimes, when you go to a movie, it's not so much a question of "Good movie vs. Bad movie", but more one of "Did you get what you paid for?"

This week I went out to see a movie which -- while I'm sure it won't be up for any acting awards -- pretty much gave me exactly what I had paid for: explosions, tech gadgets, sexy stars, and a plot so easy to follow that you could sleep through the middle 2/3 of the movie and never miss a beat.

The movie in question: G.I. Joe. (By the way... I'm having issues with whether or not the G.I. portion is supposed to have periods. Depending on where you look it does or doesn't. I'm going with them, since the letters were, originally, abbreviations.)

G.I. Joe is a summer blockbuster in every sense of the word. Dashing young men fighting dastardly evil villains, saving damsels in distress, and demolishing things along the way.

Sure. Okay. Some of the actors couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. (Channing Tatum is pretty enough to look at, but... wow... someone should have told the casting director that actors also have to deliver lines.)

Sure. Some of the plot holes were big enough to drive a train through. (I was especially irked by two things: 1) the incredibly circuitous path they take driving through Paris; and, 2) the fact that all of the ice sank.)

And, yes. Whoever wrote it made a mess of some of the most basic plot/character points from the cartoon I grew up watching. (I mean... really... why change a character's nationality?)

But, all that aside, it was a fun movie. The gadgets were cool. The interpersonal relationships were believable (once you ignored the acting). And I didn't even get the feeling that this was simply a set-up for the next franchise of movies. (Okay. I did get that feeling, but not too often.)

Overall score: A-. I got what I expected. I just wish they had hired a few more actors who could... well... act.

No comments: