Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ponderances du jour

A few random thoughts for this Thursday evening:

- Why do the scooter things that are available in grocery stores only have two speeds: slow and "if you push it, it might beat that snail"? I always seem to be ending up in the aisle behind them when I've got a cart. Not when I'm shopping with just one of those baskets, where I could maneuver around them, but when I've got a cart and I'm trapped.

- Why do people, upon seeing a police car parked on the side of the road, slam on the brakes so that they're going at least 10 miles per hour below the speed limit? There have been a lot of cops on the road the past few mornings, and my usual commuting speed of about 65 has dropped to about 48. It's not fun.

- Why is it that so many movies that I want to see always come out at the same time? For the past couple of weeks, nothing I want to see has opened. And this weekend there are three or four movies opening around here that I want to see. Of course, this is also happening at a time when I'm already overscheduled for the next few evenings. Of course.

- Why are the replacement pieces for the inside of a refrigerator so expensive? We broke one of the "rails" on one of our crisper drawers last weekend. So we decided to order a new one. It's probably about 1/10th the cost of an entirely brand new fridge. Too expensive to seem completely worthwhile. Too necessary to not replace. The new one should be here on Monday.

- If the Post Office goes to delivering only 4 or 5 days per week, what will that do to my Netflix deliveries? I know that's probably not the most important thing in the world, but it dawned on me today as I was sending back Disc 2 of The Best of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in.

Whew. Now that I've gotten those off my chest, I should be able to sleep tonight.

No comments: