Monday, August 17, 2009

Movie Monday - May I Suggest a Book?

I've been torn over writing this entry ever since I saw "Julie & Julia" last week. You see, for as much as I enjoyed watching the four lead actors in the movie (Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, as well as each of their male counterparts), I just couldn't get into the movie.

There are some marvellous moments, but also some real clunkers. There are moments taken directly from the books, but also moments fabricated from other sources. Honestly, I think that it would have been a much better movie if they either focused entirely on Julia, entirely on Julie, or... well... created something new from wholecloth.

I don't usually worry about reading a book before seeing a movie. I don't necessarily stay away from the book, but I also don't put it on my "must-read" list. Reading the Harry Potter books in advance has been very helpful (since so much of the books doesn't make it into the movie). But, having read the short story "Breakfast at Tiffany's" prior to seeing the movie, the movie completely befuddled me.

The Julie/Julia Project (originally a blog on Salon.com, starting in 2003), was nowhere on my radar until I started hearing about the movie coming out. As I mentioned to people that I wanted to see the movie, I heard some not-so-great things about the book (which was made from the blog), but had no clue where any of those comments came from.

On the other hand, I have read Julia Child's "My Life in France," which I absolutely loved. I've also seen hours and hours' worth of Julia's TV shows. And I've made the pilgrimage to see Julia's kitchen in the National Museum of American History at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. Oh. Yeah. And it should come as no surprise that we've got at least one of her cookbooks in the house.

But... Back to the movie...

The Parisian scenery is gorgeous. The life that Julie is living in post-9/11 New York City is opressive (she answers phones at a help-line for families of victims). The food is gorgeous -- when it's supposed to be -- and incredibly believable at all times. And, honestly, I had no trouble buying each of the actors as their characters. But, somehow, the movie just didn't do it for me.

So...

Overall reaction: If you want a really amazing food movie, go rent "Babette's Feast" or "Chocolat". If you want more Julia Child, thank WGBH Boston for keeping her on Public TV. If you want to see the movie, go ahead. But, overall: B-.

My recommendations? Read the books. Use the cookbooks. And, above all else, remember to look for the joy in whatever you're doing.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I tried to read the book (the actual book by the blogger the movie is based on) and could not get into it.

I will be happy to concede others upon reflection, but the only movie-book pairing where they are equally great and both MUST be experienced is The Princess bride. You got any?