Tuesday, August 4, 2009

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Blog...

As you may remember from a while back (March 26th, to be exact), in a post entitled 'Cuz You Gotta Have Friends, I mentioned that two of my cousins (Kris and Katie) were preparing to walk the Minneapolis version of the Breast Cancer 3-Day. At the time it seemed like ages and ages into the future, but the walk is now just a couple of weeks away.

I was already thinking that I should mention them, again, when I got one of Katie's emailed updates in my inbox, today. I don't know about you, but that seems way too much like karma for me to ignore it. So... Here is Katie's latest update: (I'll meet you down below...)

Hello everyone!

We're getting ourselves physically and mentally prepared to conquer the 60 miles in a few short weeks. I can't believe it's almost here.

Overall, we're in good shape physically - able to handle the days as they go by. Last weekend (July 24-25) was the peak of training: 18 miles one day and 15 the next. It was not too bad; I think the hardest part was not walking it with my partner in crime on this journey, Kris.

Speaking of Kris...together the two of us have walked about 400+ miles a piece thus far. Likewise, we have raised over $6,000 collectively - with your support - to fight breast cancer. How cool is that?

To answer the question I have been getting a lot: We are not familiar with the route yet. HOWEVER, they have posted the cheering stations!!!! (http://www.the3day.org/site/PageServer?pagename=TC_Spectator)

Please consider coming out, but don't feel as if you have to. If you do decide to come to a cheering station, please let either of us know. I've been keeping the blog updated on occasion, and will try to send out one more message.

Thanks again for your ongoing support. Words of encouragement, audio book donations, music donations, chatting with me on the walks, monetary support, equipment support, etc etc etc. I am very grateful!

Talk to you soon!

Katie (and Kris)

Okay... back to me again... (you can tell it's me because the font changed)

I feel like I should mention that Kris hasn't really gone anywhere or disappeared or anything. She and Katie are still doing the walk together, they just live a little farther apart these days, so training together is a little more difficult.

Now... To the business at hand... If you're in the mood, and have a couple extra bucks to spare, feel free to donate to one of them. Katie's site is here. Kris's is here.

And, if donating isn't do-able at the moment, feel free to cheer them on -- in person or in spirit -- as they do their walk on August 21-23.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled irregular blog.

No comments: