Saturday, August 29, 2009

Celebrating Four Years

Oddly enough, as I was looking back over the past year, I found that what I wrote on August 29th was much like what I'll be writing today.

You see, I missed posting yesterday (as I had on August 28th last year) because it was the four-year anniversary of the first date Christopher and I ever had. And, as we did last year, we celebrated at Erte restaurant in Northeast Minneapolis. No surprise to either of us, he had the top sirloin, I had the faux fried chicken, and we shared the hash browns. Our waitress was someone who knew us from our past visits, and it was an incredibly comfortable -- and delicious -- evening.

We spent our evening talking about where we might want to travel in the near -- and not-so-near -- future. And I was getting a little reflective on where I might be right now had I never met Christopher. You see... When we met, I was still working in the management track at a local Williams-Sonoma. Unfortunately, as much as I liked the company (and some of my coworkers), I knew that my chances for advancement were pretty limited. Christopher is the one who suggested my next job move to The Minnesota Opera.

Which means that, without Christopher, I probably wouldn't ever have seen a full-length opera or met some of the great people I still keep in touch with (Hi, Libby!). Of course, that job only lasted about 16 months (you heard a little bit about the aftermath of my departure from there, here), and ended about 4 months before I started this blog. So, without Christopher, there's a good chance that this blog wouldn't even exist.

More recently, it was Christopher's friend (now my friend, too), Darci, who first came across the Craigslist posting for the job which is where I've been working at for about 4 months, now. And it's through Christopher and his friends that we found out about the Trivia games we've been playing every Monday, too.

Yes. There is also a lot of travel that probably wouldn't have taken place without Christopher. I probably never would have seen Penzance and Stonehenge. And I most likely wouldn't have had that amazing time in Quebec last fall (remember that amazing dinner?). And... well... I could go on for days with this kind of thing. That's obvious, isn't it? After all, in the past year I've written almost 250 posts and we're talking about four years, here.

So... yeah... Lots has happened in the past year. And even more has happened in the past four years. I guess that's not all that surprising, but it's nice to have a reminder from time to time.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Thanks for a wonderful evening last night! We may be a bit predictable (there have been few times -- possibly only one when you have pork chops? -- that Erte, steak, faux-fried chicken, and hash browns weren't all linked together), but I'm OK with that. We know what we like!

Here's to the fun, excitement, and travel coming in the next four years.

I love you!

Unknown said...

I can't believe I commented on your Anniblogsery, but missed your Anniversary! It sounds like you had a very fun dinner.

Thanks for the shout out. :) Even though some things could have been different about the past four years for me, I have never regretted moving to Minnesota... Especially because, otherwise, I wouldn't have met you (or Christopher!).

Miss you guys!