Sunday, August 23, 2009

I Think I Had Forgotten...

I think I must have forgotten how frustrating weekends are when they are only two days long.

You see... For the past 15 months (give or take), I've had at least 3 days off at the end of each week. Heck. For about 11 months of that I'd had 7 days off each weekend. And then, since I went to work part-time, I still had Friday-Sunday off.

I really enjoyed the 3-day weekend set-up. It gave me Friday to get errands and "outside of the house" things done, then Saturday to do "around the house and yard" stuff -- and both of these days were frequently capped by something social. Then, on Sunday, I could completely collapse if I wanted to -- or Christopher and I would go out to dinner at his parents', or whatever.

Well, this weekend is my first two-day weekend in quite a while. I got done with work on Friday and came home through rush-hour so that I could stop at the grocery store and then collapse for a while. It was an evening made even stranger by the fact that Christopher didn't come home from work until after 9 (having gone in before 7 in the morning).

Consequently, yesterday -- when we had every intention of working in the yard all morning -- Christopher and I both ended up sleeping in kind of late (for us, at least), and we put off the yardwork in favor of other events. He had a scheduled outing with friends, I had a scheduled afternoon with a couple of freelance projects. We "met up" for dinner at home, but then we went our separate ways as he watched some TV and I went back to working on the projects I wanted to get done.

Which brings us to today... Sunday.

Christopher was up before me, and by the time I was up he was already baking a graham cracker crust for a Key Lime pie which we're taking to his folks' this afternoon. I watched some TV while reading the paper, then headed out into the yard to take care of "yesterday's" yardwork (spraying for weeds and putting up some more chicken wire in the continued anti-bunny battle). By noon the pie was in the freezer and I was back in from the yard. Time to relax.

But... well... we need to leave in about 2 hours to go out to dinner, and we probably won't get home until around 8, at which point it will be time to start getting ready for bed.

I start my first full week back in the 9-to-5 world tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'll readjust to the lack of flexible time. Although... having mostly enjoyed the unscheduled freedom of the past 1 1/4 years... the readjustment might take a little while.

No comments: