Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Travel Tuesday, Of Sorts

I just got home from seeing a movie with my friend Kelly (Hi, Kelly!), as I am wont to do on Tuesday nights. I know that my blog posts that talk about movies are "Movie Mondays"--that's because I usually need some time to digest a movie before I write about it.

On the other hand, my Tuesday label is "Travel Tuesday" and I must admit that, although I haven't gone anywhere, recently, my mind certainly has wandered. And tonight's movie didn't help. I won't tell you what movie we saw, but I suspect you might be able to figure it out. You see, I sighed my way through the movie (Sorry, Kelly!) watching the scenes in Paris and New York. The scenery wasn't a big part of the movie, but there was just enough to make me want to go back and experience those places again.

I also found myself once again wondering what my great passion in life is. And, frankly, whether there's anyone out there reading this blog. Okay. I admit that the latter of those is a little melodramatic. I know there are people reading this (I even have four people officially "following" me, now! Hi Jen, Laura, Kelly and--to keep the semi-anonymity--Sstriking!), but I have to admit that there is a strange "yelling into the void" feeling about writing this.

Anyway... Back to the whole Travel Tuesday thing...

Remember last Friday when I mentioned that I'd been at a daylong seminar about job searching? (I have to admit that even I wasn't sure I'd talked about it in here. That story about the woman in the tight hip-hugger jeans on the escalator kind of blocked out the whole rest of the day for me.) Well, we started the seminar by talking about our likes and dislikes, as well as trying to nail down things we're good at. We were asked to write down a... well... a "vision statement" I guess, describing what we wanted to be doing in five years.

I should mention that we were not asked to write down what we would say if asked that in a job interview. After all, who really bares his soul in a job interview?

My answer was something along the lines of: "In five years I hope to be working in a job which affords me enough money and time to be able to travel more and spend more time with friends and family."

I was the only one in the room (well... there were only 3 "students" after all) who didn't go all "I want to be the CEO of a major corporation" about it. But, to the credit of the woman who was leading the class, she said to me: "So, you want to really focus on finding a job which allows for a good work/life balance." (Now if I could only figure out how to put that on a resume without sounding like a total slacker...)

So... I came home from tonight's movie sort of inspired. Sort of intrigued. Sort of... well... wistful and wanderlust-y.

And you want to know the funny thing? I'm still not sure what I thought of the movie. Luckily, I have until next Monday to decide.

No comments: